Three Layers Of Foodie Joy
If you're a big fan of millionaire shortbread, you will adore these vegan caramel slices which are heavenly and full of gooey caramel. These simple treats have a Digestive base and a chocolate topping which sits on the caramel layer.
For more layered, no-bake bars, check out my vegan cookie dough brownie bars.
Prefer To Watch Instead?
Ingredients For This Recipe
- Digestive biscuits or gluten free version
- Vegan butter block
- Pinch of salt
- Vegan condensed milk - you can either use a store bought version or use my recipe.
- Golden syrup - adds extra sweetness and thickness to the caramel layer.
- Granulated sugar
- Vegan dark baking chocolate - avoid using chocolate chips as they don't melt as well.
- Vegan double cream
How To Make Vegan Caramel Slices
For the full method and ingredient amounts, please refer to the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
1: Line a square baking tin with parchment paper then set aside.
2: Make the base and press it into the tin.
3: Add all the caramel ingredients to a saucepan.
4: Cook the caramel filling until it thickens.
5: Pour the caramel over the base. Let it cool.
6: Make the chocolate topping.
7: Pour the chocolate over the caramel.
8: Slice and serve the bars.
Expert Tips & Tricks
Use Baking Chocolate
Baking chocolate melts smoothly which is convenient for when you're making a chocolate topping like the one on these bars. Avoid using chocolate chips for the topping as they don't melt as evenly and they can often become quite clumpy.
Once the chocolate is melted, mixing in the vegan cream also helps it to stay smooth.
Add Some Toppings
If you'd like to add an extra topping on top of the chocolate layer, some delicious options that I recommend are chopped nuts such as, almonds and peanuts, desiccated and flaked coconut and also, something as simple as sea salt flakes can make a nice difference.
Why You Will Love These Slices
- These bars have a thick and creamy caramel layer.
- The base is buttery and delicious.
- There is a thick layer of chocolate on top.
- They are a perfect snack.
- These goodies are fully vegan and dairy free.
Making The Vegan Caramel
The caramel filling is so easy to make. Add all of the ingredients to a pot and stir continuously until it thickens. It really is that simple.
When it cools down at room temperature, it will thicken nicely over the base, ready for the chocolate layer to be poured on top of it.
It's a buttery, creamy caramel which I think you'll love and it compliments the bars well.
Storage & Freezing
Store these vegan caramel slices inside the fridge for up to 1 week or store in the freezer inside airtight containers for up to 3 months. Defrost at room temperature.
More No-Bake Treats
Chocolate Orange Macadamia Nut ClustersPrint
Gooey Vegan Caramel Slices (No-Bake & Gluten Free Option)
- Total Time: 2 hours 30 minutes
- Yield: 20 slices 1x
- Diet: Vegan
My vegan caramel slices recipe is just what you need when you're craving something gooey, buttery and chocolatey.
For the base:
- 360g Digestive biscuits or gluten free version (or Graham crackers)
- 120g vegan butter (melted)
- Pinch of salt
For the caramel filling:
- 350g vegan condensed milk (or store-bought)
- 110g vegan butter block
- 2.5 Tablespoons golden syrup
- 70g granulated sugar
- Pinch of salt
For the chocolate topping:
- 325g vegan dark baking chocolate (chopped)
- 200ml vegan double cream
- Begin by lining an 8-inch, square baking tin with parchment paper.
Make the crust:
- Add your Digestives to a high-speed blender or a food processor and blitz until fine crumbs form.
- Next, pour in the melted vegan butter and salt and blitz again to create a wet base mixture.
- Use a flat-bottomed glass or your hands to firmly press your base into the prepared baking tin.
- Place the base into the freezer while we make the caramel filling.
Make the caramel filling:
- Add the caramel filling ingredients to a medium-sized saucepan. Place over a medium heat to melt the ingredients together then reduce to a low heat when it begins to bubble.
- Stir the mixture continuously for 16 minutes so that it doesn’t burn inside the pan. Your caramel will thicken.
- Once it is done, pour the thick caramel over the base. Be quick to smooth it out with a palette knife. It will set fast!
- Let the caramel layer cool at room temperature for about 15 minutes, then place it in the fridge for a further 45 minutes.
Make the chocolate topping:
- Just before it is due to come out from the fridge make the chocolate topping. Add the chocolate to a large, heatproof bowl. Melt it using the double-boiling (bain-marie) method. Once the chocolate is completely melted, pour in the cream.
- Pour the creamy chocolate over the caramel layer and place it back into the fridge to set completely for 60-90 minutes depending on how soft you want the chocolate. Slice with a sharp knife into small squares and serve.
- Prep Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 60 minutes
- Category: No-Bake
- Method: Chilling
- Cuisine: Caramel Slices
- Serving Size: 1 Slice
- Calories: 153
- Sugar: 15.1 g
- Sodium: 4812.7 mg
- Fat: 8 g
- Carbohydrates: 23.7 g
- Protein: 1.7 g
- Cholesterol: 11.7 mg
Keywords: vegan caramel slices, caramel slices, millionaire shortbread, no bake, no bake desserts, vegan foodies
Delicious. So delicious.