Nutty, Sweet & Soft Loaf Cakes
This easy vegan orange almond cake os deliciously light and fluffy. The crumb is so moist and it is topped with a crumbly almond streusel which toasts to perfection.
My popular vegan chocolate bundt cake recipe is also a cake that I think you will really like. It's so soft. Just like this cake!
Prefer To Watch Instead?
Ingredients For This Recipe
- All-purpose flour
- Brown sugar
- Salted vegan butter - I like to use Vitalite dairy free spread for the streusel.
- Soy milk
- Apple cider vinegar - combine with the soy milk.
- Ground almonds - this is different to almond flour.
- Granulated sugar
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- Canola oil - this is the same as rapeseed oil.
- Vanilla extract
- Freshly squeezed orange juice - Avoid using artificial varieties of orange juice.
- Zest of 2 medium-sized oranges
- Flaked almonds
How To Make Orange Almond Cake
STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS
For the full method and ingredient amounts, please refer to the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
1: Grease the two baking tins with vegan butter.
2: Make the streusel. Combine the flour and sugar.
3: Add the vegan butter and form a crumble.
4: Make the buttermilk. Set aside to curdle.
5: Mix together the dry cake ingredients.
6: Add the wet orange cake ingredients. Fold into a smooth batter.
7: Pour the cake batter into the two greased cake tins.
8: Sprinkle on the streusel and flaked almonds. Bake the orange almond cake.
9: Let the cake cool.
You'll Love This Cake Because It Is...
- Crumbly with streusel on top
- Sweet and nutty
- Light and fluffy
- Dairy Free
Tips For Making Vegan Orange Almond Cakes
Add Almonds To The Streusel
Sometimes I like to mix the flaked almost into the streusel mixture to create an 'almond streusel' and sometimes I prefer to sprinkle them on separately just before the cakes go into the oven.
Use Real Fresh Orange Juice
You just can't beat freshly squeezed orange juice. When making a vegan orange cake, never use concentrated or artificial orange juice.
The flavour won't be the same and it will not taste anywhere near as fresh as it should do.
Customisations & Substitutions
Add some cardamom. Adding half a teaspoon of ground cardamom makes a nice change to this recipe. I highly recommend this if you want your vegan orange almond cake to be a little different.
How To Store Vegan Orange Cakes
Store this cake inside an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days or at room temperature for 3 days.
More Orange Recipes:Print
Softest Vegan Orange Almond Cake with Streusel
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 2 Cakes 1x
- Diet: Vegan
This vegan orange almond cake is a perfect combination of sweet and savoury. The crumb is light and fluffy. I think you'll love it.
For the streusel:
- 30g all-purpose flour
- 25g brown sugar
- 1.5 Tablespoons salted vegan butter (softened)
For the cake batter:
- 200ml soy milk
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 170g all-purpose flour (sifted)
- 30g ground almonds
- 150g granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 0.5 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 50ml canola oil (rapeseed)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 110ml freshly squeezed orange juice
- Zest of 2 medium-sized oranges
- 20g flaked almonds
- Preheat your oven to 177 Celsius (350F).
- Grease two 20cm x 10cm loaf cake tins with vegan butter then set aside.
Make the streusel:
- In a small bowl, mix together the flour and brown sugar.
- Add the softened vegan butter. Use your hands to combine the ingredients. A crumbly streusel will form. It should have the consistency of breadcrumbs. Cover the streusel and place it into the fridge until later.
Make the cake:
- Make the vegan buttermilk. Mix together the apple cider vinegar and the soy milk. While it curdles for 8 minutes, measure out the other cake ingredients that you will need.
- Add the all-purpose flour, ground almonds, granulated sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt to a large bowl. Mix to combine.
- Pour the curdled soy milk, canola oil, vanilla extract, orange juice and orange zest. Fold the cake batter until the flour is fully combined.
- Pour the orange cake batter into the greased cake tins then sprinkle the flaked almonds and streusel onto the top of each cake equally. Bake your orange cakes in centre of the oven for 20 minutes. A skewer will come out of them clean at this point.
- Let the cakes cool in the tins for 15 minutes. After that, transfer them to a cooling rack to cool a little more.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Bakes
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Orange Almond Cake
- Serving Size: 1 Slice
- Calories: 204
- Sugar: 15.9 g
- Sodium: 260.5 mg
- Fat: 7.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 30.9 g
- Protein: 3 g
- Cholesterol: 3.8 mg
Keywords: vegan baking, vegan cakes, vegan desserts, orange cake, almond cake, vegan treats
honestly SO delicious!! don’t skip out the streusel topping trust me, it adds the perfect crunch to compliment the fluffy moist cake. I will say it took a bit longer to cook than the recipe suggests, however that could just be my oven! loved it! defo defo make this
Helen Carr says
I’m in love with this cake. I tried it and it was the BEST! 🍊