When I say this is a quick recipe, I mean super quick. This vegan banana mug cake is ready in under two minutes and it tastes amazing!
For another recent banana-flavoured treat, check out my vegan biscoff banana bread too which is a recipe I adore.
Prefer To Watch Instead?
Ingredients For This Recipe
- Very ripe banana - this acts as an egg replacer in this recipe
- Light brown sugar
- Soy milk
- Vegetable oil
- All-purpose flour or gluten free 1-to-1 baking flour
- Baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- Vegan chocolate chips - the more the better
How To Make A Vegan Banana Mug Cake
Step By Step Instructions
For the full method and ingredient amounts, please refer to the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
Add the banana, sugar, soy milk and oil to the mug. Mix.
Add the remaining dry ingredients. Mix again and bake.
Let the mug cake, cool and firm up.
Tips For Making A Banana Mug Cake
Use an extra ripe banana
This is a banana mug cake so you want the banana flavours to be strong with that potent sweetness. Not only will it make the cake taste better but also, it will act as a vegan egg replacer.
Don't over cook
Every microwave is different. The cake will be ready when it no longer looks wet on top. If your cake is still wet after the recommended time, cook for a further 10 seconds at a time.
Mix the batter well
Make sure that there are no pockets of flour after your mix the ingredients before cooking. As this is a small mug cake, you will taste the flour you haven't mixed in when it's ready.
What Kind Of Mug Should I Use?
Use a wide mug if you have one. This allows the cake to rise easily and also and also cook evenly. You can also use wide baking ramekins for this recipe.
Customise This Recipe
- Add other fillings. I have added things such as chopped nuts and vegan white chips. There really are so many options.
Frequently Asked Questions
It hasn't baked for long enough. Place it back in the microwave for 10 seconds at a time until it is only a little sticky on top.
Use a 1:1 gluten free baking flour blend instead of all-purpose flour.
How To Store My Vegan Banana Mug Cake
I recommend that you eat this banana mug cake warm, not long after cooking it.
More Banana Recipes
Best 2 Minute Vegan Banana Mug Cake
Mug Cake Batter:
- 1 very ripe banana mashed
- 1 Tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1 Tablespoon soy milk
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- 25 g all-purpose flour or gluten free 1-to-1 baking flour
- 0.5 teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1 Tablespoon vegan chocolate chips
Make the mug cake batter:
- To a medium-sized mug add the mashed banana, light brown sugar, soy milk and vegetable oil. Mix them all together with a fork for 20 seconds or until they are combined.
- Next, add the flour, baking powder and salt. Stir again for a further 20 seconds.
- Finally, fold in the chocolate chips. Add some more on top if you like.
Bake the mug cake:
- Place your uncooked mug cake into the microwave. Bake for 1 minute 30 seconds. If it still seems a little wet in top, cook for a further 10 seconds at a time.
- Let it cool for at least 2 minutes. It may seem a little soft at first, but it will continue to cook as it cools.