These vegan carrot cake muffins are super fluffy and 100% delicious. I love to top them with lemon glaze but feel free to eat them undecorated if you prefer. They're just so easy to make which is what we all want.
Prefer To Watch Instead?
Ingredients For This Recipe
- Large, ripe banana
- Light brown sugar
- Soy milk
- Apple cider vinegar - this is used for the vegan buttermilk mixture
- Vegetable oil
- Vanilla extract
- All-purpose flour
- Baking powder
- Ground cinnamon
- Ground nutmeg
- Carrots - don't buy pre-grated carrots as they have less moisture
- Powdered sugar
- Freshly squeezed lemon juice
How To Make Vegan Carrot Cake Muffins
Step By Step Instructions
For the full method and ingredient amounts, please refer to the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
Line two muffin tray with cupcake liners. Grease with oil.
Mix together the wet ingredients inside a large bowl including the bananas.
Add the dry ingredients to the mixture. Fold the muffin batter until smooth.
Add in the grated carrots and the pecans.
Spoon the carrot cake muffin batter into the cupcake liners. Bake until golden brown.
Let the muffins cool.
Make the lemon glaze.
Tips For Making Carrot Muffins
Bake The Muffins At The Correct Temperature
Baking vegan muffins at the incorrect temperature can cause them to expand outwards instead of rising upwards.
You also want the muffins to bake all the way through without the tops becoming burnt.
Make These Vegan Carrot Cake Muffins Healthier
Swap out your all-purpose flour for wholewheat flour and replace the light brown sugar with coconut sugar.
Are Carrot Cake Muffins Always Vegan?
No, a traditional carrot cupcake recipe contains dairy products and eggs. The glaze however, is naturally vegan.
Frequently Asked Questions
Replace the 75ml oil with 37.5g unsweetened applesauce. This will make them a little sweeter and moist.
How To Store My Carrot Muffins
Store these muffins inside a large airtight container for up to three days at room temperature.
More Muffin Recipes
Easy Vegan Carrot Cake Muffins with Lemon Glaze
For the muffins:
- 1 large ripe banana (mashed)
- 180 g light brown sugar
- 240 ml soy milk
- 2.5 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 75 ml vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 260 g all-purpose flour
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1.5 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 150 g carrots grated
- 60 g pecans chopped roughly
For the glaze:
- 160 g powdered sugar
- 2 Tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Preheat your oven to 200 Celsius (390F).
- Line two 6-hole muffin trays or one 12-hole muffin tray with cupcake liners.
- Grease each of the cupcake liners with a drop of oil the set aside.
Make the muffin batter:
- To a large bowl, add the mashed banana, light brown sugar, soy milk, apple cider vinegar, vegetable oil and vanilla extract. Mix well.
- Next, fold in the all-purpose flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, grated carrots and the chopped pecans. Make sure that there are no pockets of flour remaining.
- Equally, pour the carrot cake muffin batter into the cupcake liners until they’re almost full.
Bake the muffins:
- Place the muffins into the centre of the preheated oven and bake for 25 minutes. They should be golden brown, and a skewer should come out clean.
- Allow the muffins to cool in the baking trays for 15 minutes then transfer them over to a cooling rack.
Make the lemon glaze:
- Add your powdered sugar to a small bowl. Mix in the lemon juice one Tablespoon at a time.
- Spoon the lemon glaze over the muffins or dip them into the glaze.