Comforting & Delicious Almond Cake Slices
Almond cakes might just be my new favourite things and more specifically, this vegan blueberry almond cake is absolutely drool-worthy.
I haven't used almond extract for many recipes in the past, but it makes such a big difference to the flavours in this cake. I definitely need to use it more often.
Another almond-themed cake on the blog that I love is my vegan orange almond cake. If you haven't tried it yet, you need to give it a go!
Prefer To Watch Instead?
Important Ingredients Overview & Notes
- Apple cider vinegar - This will be mixed into the soy milk to create vegan 'buttermilk'.
- Ground almonds - This is NOT the same thing as almond flour. They have completely different textures and offer different things to a cake.
- Canola oil - this is the same thing as rapeseed oil and gives the cake a super moist texture.
- Almond extract - I'm in love with this ingredient. You only need a couple drops and the flavour that comes out of it is IMMENSE.
- Fresh blueberries - I chose to use fresh blueberries for this recipe, purely due to convenience. If you'd prefer to use frozen this will work too.
How To Make Blueberry Almond Cake
For the full method and ingredient amounts, please refer to the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
1: Line a large, square tin with parchment paper.
2: Make the vegan buttermilk mixture.
3: Combine the dry cake ingredients inside a large bowl.
4: Fold the dry and wet ingredients together to form a cake batter.
5: Fold in the blueberries.
6: Pour the cake batter into a baking tin and top with flaked almonds. Bake the cake.
7: Let the cake cool. Slice and serve.
Why You Will Love This Cake:
- It is so soft. The texture is beautifully moist.
- The almond extract gives the cake a delicious flavour.
- This cake is packed with juicy blueberries.
- It's a super easy-to-follow recipe that anyone can complete.
- The cake is fully vegan and dairy free.
Expert Tips & Tricks
Don't Over-Mix The Cake Batter
This could potentially ruin the texture of your cake. Carefully and patiently fold the cake batter over itself with a rubber spatula or spoon until all of the dry ingredients have been incorporated into the wet. There should be no pockets of flour remaining.
Place Into The Centre Of Your Oven
As this cake is topped with flaked almonds, don't place it too high in the oven. I always recommend that you bake cakes in the centre of the oven anyway but the risk factors are a little higher with this recipe as the almonds can easily burn.
Frequently Asked Questions:
This cake creates 9 large servings or 12 medium slices.
You can divide the cake batter between two 20cm x 10cm loaf cake tins if you prefer. Reduce the baking time to 20-25 minutes.
Store this blueberry almond cake either inside the fridge or at room temperature for up to 4 days. Make sure that it is inside an airtight container.
Check Out Some More Blueberry Recipes
Vegan Blueberry Cheesecake BarsPrint
Soft Vegan Blueberry Almond Cake
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 12 slices 1x
- Diet: Vegan
Cake lovers will adore this vegan blueberry almond cake which is packed with fresh blueberries and topped generously with flaked almonds.
For the cake batter:
- 200ml soy milk
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 150g all-purpose flour
- 50g ground almonds
- 180g granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 50ml canola oil (rapeseed)
- 0.5 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 0.5 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 120g fresh blueberries
For the topping:
- 30g flaked almonds
- Powdered sugar (sifted to taste, optional)
- Preheat oven to 177 Celsius (350F) and grease a square 8-inch cake tin with vegan butter and line with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Make the ‘buttermilk’ by mixing the soy milk with the apple cider vinegar. Let the dairy free ‘buttermilk’ curdle for 8 minutes.
Make the almond cake batter:
- Inside a large bowl, combine the all-purpose flour, almond flour, granulated sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Pour in your curdled ‘buttermilk’ as well as, the canola oil, vanilla extract, almond extract. Finally, fold in the fresh blueberries. Don’t over-mix your cake batter.
Bake the cake:
- Pour the cake batter into the greased tin. Sprinkle on the flaked almonds evenly and bake in the centre of the oven for 30 minutes. A skewer will come out clean when it’s done.
- Let your blueberry almond cake to cool down inside the tin for at least 15 minutes. Transfer it over to a cooling rack to cool fully.
- Dust on some powdered sugar. Slice and serve.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Bakes
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Blueberry Almond Cake
- Serving Size: 1 Slice
- Calories: 232
- Sugar: 26.4 g
- Sodium: 259.8 mg
- Fat: 6.4 g
- Carbohydrates: 38.9 g
- Protein: 3 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: almond cake, blueberry cake, blueberry almond cake, vegan cakes, vegan baking, vegan cake
Leave a Reply