I love a classic recipe. Rice krispie treats and are something that I have been making for many years and I still love them to this day.
These ones are a little different to conventional versions as I decided to use vegan condensed milk as the main ingredient, giving these traditionally chocolatey goodies a slight caramel taste. I think it works really well!
My vegan dulce de leche caramel is another great caramel option.
PREFER TO WATCH INSTEAD?
HOW TO MAKE THE BEST RICE KRISPIE TREATS STEP-BY-STEP
Below you can take a look at a quick overview of how to make my chocolate-filled pancakes. The full method is down on the recipe card. If you’re looking for detailed steps, be sure to see it!
STEP ONE - PREPARATION
Line a 9x9" baking tray with parchment paper. Set aside.
STEP TWO - MAKE THE CARAMEL SAUCE
To a medium saucepan, add the vegan condensed milk, melted vegan butter and melted chocolate. Mix for roughly 5 minutes over a medium-high heat. It should thicken.
STEP THREE - MIX AND PRESS
Pour the puffed rice into a medium bowl and mix in the caramel sauce until the puffed rice is brown and fully covered. Press it firmly into the base of the prepared baking tin.
STEP FOUR - REFRIGERATE
Place your base in the fridge for 30 minutes to set.
STEP FIVE - MAKING THE CHOCOLATE TOPPING
Once the base is almost set, melt the rest of the chocolate using the double boiling method. Pour it over the base and allow it to set at room temperature.
HOW TO FREEZE RICE KRISPIE TREATS
It's super easy to freeze rice krispie treats. When layering the bars, separate them with parchment paper so that they don't stick together.
Eat within 1 month. Allow them to thaw at room temperature for 45 minutes, then serve.
Caramel Rice Krispie Treats (Vegan & Gluten Free)
For the crispy bars:
- 350 g vegan condensed milk
- 120 g vegan chocolate melted
- 150 g vegan butter melted
- 220 g puffed rice
- 450 g vegan chocolate melted
- Vegan sprinkles optional
- Line a 9x9" baking tray with parchment paper. Set aside.
Making the caramel:
- Melt the initial 120g chocolate.
- To a medium saucepan, add the vegan condensed milk, melted vegan butter and melted chocolate. Mix for roughly 5 minutes over a medium-high heat. It should become thick and runny like ordinary caramel. Cook for a further minute or so if you'd like it even thicker.
Making the crispy bars:
- Pour the puffed rice into a medium bowl. Then pour over the caramel sauce until the puffed rice is fully covered, sticky and brown. Press it firmly into the base of the prepared baking tin. I used the bottom of a glass.
- Place the caramel puffed rice base into the refrigerator for 30 minutes to set.
- Once the base is almost set, melt the remaining 450g chocolate using the double boiling method. You can also melt it another way but I find double boiling the best for not burning the chocolate.
- Pour the chocolate over the base and allow it to set at room temperature. I also added vegan sprinkles. As soon as the topping has hardened, serve.