Super Flavourful Loaf Cakes
I use fresh fruits in my cakes regularly but this sweet vegan blackberry lemon cake takes fruitiness to another level which I think you will love! There is so many flavours in this cake.
If you love lemon cakes, you may also like my vegan lemon olive oil cake which is moist and very soft.
Prefer To Watch Instead?
Ingredients For This Recipe
- Soy milk
- Apple cider vinegar - mix this into the soy milk to make vegan buttermilk.
- All-purpose flour
- Granulated sugar
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- Canola oil - rapeseed oil is the same thing.
- Vanilla extract
- Freshly squeezed lemon juice - avoid using artificial lemon juice.
- Medium-sized lemons - you'll need the peel for the zest.
- Blackberries - use fresh blackberries for this recipe instead of frozen.
- Powdered sugar
Why I Love This Blackberry Cake
- It is fruity and sweet.
- This cake contains lots of antioxidants.
- The texture is light, fluffy and moist.
- Making the glaze is super easy.
- This recipe is completely vegan and dairy-free.
How To Make Vegan Blackberry Lemon Cake
For the full method and ingredient amounts, please refer to the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
1: Grease two loaf cake tins with vegan butter then set aside.
2: Make the vegan buttermilk.
3: Combine the dry cake ingredients in a bowl.
4: Pour in the wet ingredients to create the batter.
5: Fold in the blueberries and pour into the prepared tins. Bake.
6: Let the loaf cakes cool before decorating.
7: Make the blackberry glaze then spoon the glaze over the cooled cakes.
Are Blackberries Good For You?
Blackberries are very good for you. They are packed with vitamins, minerals and antioxidants so if you'd like a treat that also has health benefits, this could be the one that you're looking for.
What Is The Best Egg Substitute For This Recipe?
The great thing about these easy loaf cakes is that I don't use a direct egg replacer. Instead, I rely on science and chemical reactions with the apple cider vinegar and baking powder.
Tips For Making Blackberry Cakes
Stop The Blackberries From Sinking
Dust the blackberries in a little flour before adding them to the cake batter. This will help them stick to the batter and they won't sink as much.
Can I Freeze This Cake
You can freeze this cake for up to 3 months. Slice the cake up and place inside a ziplock bag or an airtight container.
I also recommend that you separate each slice of cake with a piece of parchment paper so that they don't stick together.
How To Store Vegan Blackberry Lemon Cake
Store this blackberry lemon cake at room temperature inside an airtight container for up to 3 days or in the fridge for 4 days.
More Lemon CakesPrint
Moist Vegan Blackberry Lemon Cake
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 2 Cakes 1x
- Diet: Vegan
My vegan blackberry cake recipe which is infused with lemon flavours is a delicious option for when you want a fruity, tangy treat.
For the lemon cake batter:
- 200ml soy milk
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 200g all-purpose flour (sifted)
- 150g granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 0.5 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 50ml canola oil (rapeseed)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 50ml freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Zest of 2 medium-sized lemons
- 150g fresh blackberries
For the blackberry glaze:
- 160g powdered sugar (sifted)
- 5 teaspoons water
- 12g blackberries (squashed with spoon)
- Preheat your oven to 177 Celsius (350F).
- Grease the insides of two 20cm x 10cm cake tins with vegan butter. Set aside.
Make the cake:
- Start by making the vegan buttermilk. Do this by mixing your apple cider vinegar into the soy milk. Let it curdle for 8 minutes before adding it to any other ingredients.
- To a large mixing bowl add the all-purpose flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Mix the dry ingredients well.
- Next, add the curdled soy milk, canola oil, vanilla, lemon juice and lemon zest to the mixture. Fold the lemon cake batter until almost all the flour is mixed in. Lastly, fold in the fresh blackberries.
- Equally, pour the cake batter into the greased loaf tins and bake in centre of your oven for 20 minutes. A skewer will come out clean when they’re done.
- Allow the lemon blackberry cakes to cool down inside the tins for 15 minutes, then place them on a cooling rack to cool fully.
Make the glaze:
- To a small bowl, add the powdered sugar and the water, one teaspoon at a time. The glaze will be thick in consistency.
- Separately, squash the blackberries with the bottom of a fork until they become juicy. Mix the squashed blackberries into your glaze.
- Spoon the blackberry glaze over the two lemon loaf cakes.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Bakes
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Blackberry Lemon Cake
- Serving Size: 1 Slice
- Calories: 213
- Sugar: 26.8 g
- Sodium: 260.1 mg
- Fat: 4.5 g
- Carbohydrates: 41.9 g
- Protein: 2.4 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: vegan blackberry cake, blackberry cake, vegan lemon cake, vegan cakes, vegan desserts, vegan baking
Christine Rowe says
This cake was so good. Everyone enjoyed it 😍