Simple Tangy & Sweet Curd
We all love simple recipes around here and this vegan lemon curd epitomises that to a tee. All you need to do is add all the ingredients to a pan and heat it. That's it. I told you it was simple.
You can use your lemon curd as a topping for so many other treats and desserts and it always comes as a welcome option in the fridge.
Also see my vegan condensed milk which is another nice addition to many of my recipes.
Important Ingredients Overview & Notes
- Cornstarch - this makes a great thickener for the lemon curd.
- Plant milk - Choose a neutral tasting plant milk for this recipe, whether that be oat milk, almond milk, soy milk etc.
- Freshly squeezed lemon juice - avoid using any artificial lemon juice for this recipe. Freshly squeezed is the only way that I advise.
- Turmeric - this will give the lemon curd the bright yellow colour that we all know and love.
How To Make Vegan Lemon Curd
For the full method and ingredient amounts, please refer to the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
1: Combine the sugar and cornstarch inside a small saucepan.
2: Add the remaining ingredients.
3: Whisk the mixture over the heat until it begins to thicken.
4: Let it thicken more, off the heat.
Why This Recipe Is Great:
- It is deliciously tangy and sweet.
- The colour is a beautiful yellow.
- This lemon curd is so easy to make.
- It only requires a handful of ingredients.
- The recipe is fully vegan and dairy free.
Expert Tips & Tricks
Don't Over-Cook The Lemon Curd
When you are whisking the mixture inside the saucepan, keep an eye on the consistency at all times. As soon as you notice that the curd has thickened a little, remove from the heat. Don't forget that it will continue to thicken at room temperature as it cools.
This is a game changer when it comes to the presentation of the lemon curd. Without it, the curd will be an incredibly pale yellow colour. It's amazing that such a small amount of turmeric can give it such a vibrant shade of yellow!
What Can I Use This Vegan Lemon Curd For?
This lemon curd can be used for many things such as, on pancakes and waffles, it can be mixed into yogurt, you can spread it onto toast or you can even make lemon tarts with it. The possibilities are endless.
I love to use this the day I make it for optimum freshness but it will keep in the fridge inside a jar for up to 4 days.
Be Sure To Check Out More Lemon Recipes
Vegan Carrot Cake with Lemon CurdPrint
Easy Vegan Lemon Curd
- Total Time: 3 minutes
- Yield: 2 Servings 1x
- Diet: Vegan
My vegan lemon curd compliments so many treats such as, pancakes, waffles, cakes and even your breakfast oatmeal.
For the lemon curd:
- 10g cornstarch
- 30g granulated sugar
- 40ml plant milk
- 20ml freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 25g coconut oil (room temperature)
- 1/8th teaspoon turmeric
Make the lemon curd:
- Mix your cornstarch with the granulated sugar inside a small saucepan.
- Next, add the plant milk, lemon juice, lemon zest, coconut oil and turmeric. Place the saucepan over a medium-low heat.
- Once it begins to simmer, whisk continuously for roughly 1-2 minutes. As soon as you notice that it has thickened just a little, remove from the heat and pour into a jar.
- It will continue to thicken while it cools, and it will now be a bright yellow colour. If you mix for too long, it will become lumpy in the pan.
- Serve with dairy free ice cream or pour over pancakes. The possibilities are endless!
- If you are not using it immediately, store inside the fridge, where it will thicken more.
- Prep Time: 1 minute
- Cook Time: 2 minutes
- Category: Quick & Easy
- Method: Cooking
- Cuisine: Lemon Curd
- Serving Size: Half a portion.
- Calories: 195
- Sugar: 15.3 g
- Sodium: 16.5 mg
- Fat: 12.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 20.7 g
- Protein: 0.2 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: lemon curd, vegan lemon curd, vegan sweets, lemon treats, easy vegan recipes, lemon cake
Valery Durham says
So simple and delish!