These easy vegan carrot walnut cake loaves are so soft, fluffy and delicious. The walnuts add a nice extra element to the texture and I really think you'll love it. I hope you like lemon glaze too as much as I do!
Prefer To Watch Instead?
Ingredients For This Recipe
- Soy milk
- Apple cider vinegar
- All-purpose flour
- Light brown sugar
- Ground cinnamon
- Nutmeg - gives the cake a more festive taste
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- Carrots - freshly grated to ensure good flavour
- Walnuts - for both the cake batter and the topping
- Canola oil - this is the same as rapeseed oil
- Vanilla extract
- Powdered sugar
- Freshly squeezed lemon juice
How To Make Vegan Carrot Walnut Cake
Step By Step Instructions
For the full method and ingredient amounts, please refer to the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
Grease two loaf cake tins with vegan butter.
Make the vegan buttermilk.
Combine the dry ingredients inside a large mixing bowl.
Add in the wet ingredients.
Fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.
Pour the batter into the cake tins and bake in the oven.
While the cake is baking, make the lemon glaze. Top the cake with glaze and walnuts once it cools.
Tips For Making Carrot Cake
Use Freshly Grated Carrots
Freshly grated carrots are full of moisture which makes them far better than pre-grated store bought carrots which are already quite dry.
Don't Add Too Much Lemon Juice To The Glaze
The glaze should be nice and thick for this cake so only add the recommended amount of lemon juice.
Don't Over Mix The Batter
If you want a super light texture, fold the cake batter. This will take slightly longer than mixing but it's worth it.
Frequently Asked Questions
This cake tastes best when it is stored at room temperature but you can also store in the fridge for 3 days. Make sure that it is in an airtight container.
The main reasons are that the oven temperature may have been too high and that you may have added too much flour to the batter.
How To Store My Carrot Walnut Cake
Store this carrot cake at room temperature for 2 days in an airtight container.
More Cake Recipes
Best Vegan Carrot Walnut Loaf Cake
- 200 ml soy milk
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 190 g all-purpose flour sifted
- 150 g light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 0.5 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 160 g carrots freshly grated
- 50 g walnuts chopped
- 50 ml canola oil rapeseed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 160 g powdered sugar sifted
- 2.5 Tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Chopped walnuts to taste
- Preheat your oven to 177 Celsius (350F).
- Grease two 20cm x 10cm loaf cake tins with vegan butter. Set aside.
Make the cake:
- Firstly, mix the apple cider vinegar and the soy milk to make the vegan buttermilk. Let the buttermilk curdle for 8 minutes. In the meantime, measure out all the other cake ingredients.
- To a mixing bowl, add the flour, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking powder, baking soda and salt, carrots and walnuts. Combine well.
- Pour the soy milk into the dry mixture. It should have curdled. Also pour in the canola oil and the vanilla extract. Gently, fold the dry carrot cake ingredients into the wet ingredients. Avoid over mixing.
- Equally, pour the cake batter into the two prepared loaf tins. Bake in the centre of the oven for 20 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Allow the baked cakes to cool down in the tins for 15 minutes, before transferring them over to a cooling rack to cool a little more.
Make the glaze:
- Add the powdered sugar to a medium bowl and gradually mix in the lemon juice. The glaze should be quite thick. Spoon the glaze onto the cooled cakes, then sprinkle on the chopped walnuts.