Fluffy Olive Oil Loaf Cakes
Have you ever tried a vegan lemon olive oil cake? I usually use other types of oils in my cakes but I was pleasantly surprised with how soft these loaves turned out to be.
I honestly think you'll love this recipe! Also see my vegan lemon drizzle cake which has different vibes but is equally mouth-watering.
Prefer To Watch Instead?
Ingredients For This Recipe
- Soy milk
- Apple cider vinegar - to be mixed into the soy milk to make vegan buttermilk.
- All-purpose flour
- Granulated sugar - or caster (superfine sugar if you wish).
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- Extra virgin olive oil - The main ingredient for this recipe. Makes the lemon cake moist.
- Vanilla extract
- Freshly squeezed lemon juice - Do not use artificial lemon juice.
- Zest of 2 medium-sized lemons
- Powdered sugar
How To Make Lemon Olive Oil Cake
STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS
For the full method and ingredient amounts, please refer to the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
1: Grease two loaf cake tins.
2: Make the vegan buttermilk. Let it curdle.
3: Combine the dry cake ingredients inside a mixing bowl.
4: Add in the wet lemon cake ingredients. Fold until smooth.
5: Pour the cake batter into the prepared tins. Bake.
6: Let the two lemon cake loaves cool.
7: Make the glaze. Spoon it onto the cooled cakes.
Tips For Making Vegan Lemon Olive Oil Cakes
Don't Open The Oven Door While Baking
This will ruin the structure of the cake, causing it to bake unevenly. As a result, you may also have a large dent in the centre of the loaf cake.
Don't Over-Mix The Cake Batter
This will make your lemon cakes dense and the exact opposite to light and fluffy. We always want light and fluffy, don't we?
What Is An Olive Oil Cake?
An olive oil cake can be literally any cake that contains - olive oil of course. It some countries it is used as an alternative to butter which makes it a great vegan baking ingredient.
This wonderful oil makes a vegan lemon olive oil cake very moist. A little less sweet and a little more savoury which I personally like a lot.
What Type Of Olive Oil Should I Use?
Olive oil is a fantastic, versatile type of oil that comes in many varieties. For this recipe I recommend that you use extra virgin olive oil which retains the olive flavour.
It is also less processed than ordinary olive oil which means that it is also a better option for your health.
Customisations & Substitutions
- Add blueberries to cake batter. Lemon and blueberries are the ultimate complimentary flavours.
How To Store Vegan Lemon Cakes
Store this lemon cake at room temperature for up to 3 days or in the fridge for up to 4 days. Make sure you store the cake inside an airtight container.
More Lemon Recipes:Print
Easy Vegan Lemon Olive Oil Cake with Lemon Glaze
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 2 Cakes 1x
- Diet: Vegan
This vegan lemon olive oil cake is one of my favourites. It's so moist and the lemon glaze on top doesn't overwhelm it. You need to try it!
For the cake batter:
- 200ml soy milk
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 200g all-purpose flour (sifted)
- 150g granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 0.5 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 50ml extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 50ml freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Zest of 2 medium-sized lemons
For the lemon glaze:
- 160g powdered sugar
- 1.5 Tablespoons soy milk
- 1 Tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Preheat your oven to 177 Celsius (350F).
- Grease two 20cm x 10cm loaf tins with vegan butter. Set aside.
Make the cake:
- Begin by making the vegan buttermilk mixture. Mix the apple cider vinegar into the soy milk and let it curdle for 8 minutes. Measure out the other cake ingredients while you wait.
- To a large bowl, add the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Mix well.
- Pour the vegan buttermilk into the dry ingredients, along with the extra virgin olive oil, vanilla, lemon juice and lemon zest. Fold the batter until the flour is fully combined.
- Pour the cake batter into your prepared baking tins equally. Bake in centre of the oven for 20 minutes. A skewer will come out of them clean when they’re ready.
- Allow the lemon cakes to cool for 15 minutes then transfer them over to a cooling rack.
Make the lemon glaze:
- Add the powdered sugar to a bowl. Mix in the soy milk and lemon juice. A thick workable glaze should form. Spoon the glaze over the two cakes and serve.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Bakes
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Lemon Olive Oil Cake
- Serving Size: 1 Slice
- Calories: 208
- Sugar: 26.2 g
- Sodium: 261.2 mg
- Fat: 4.4 g
- Carbohydrates: 40.7 g
- Protein: 2.3 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: olive oil cake, vegan cakes, vegan baking, vegan desserts, vegan lemon cake, vegan foodie
This cake is moist and tasty