Strawberries aren't always the go-to fruit for a cake filling and are somewhat unconventional but once you try a slice of this vegan strawberry cake which is also filled generously with lots of chocolate chips, you'll see it in a new light.
These loaf cakes are also topped with a delicious and smooth strawberry glaze which compliments the other flavors so nicely. This recipe also takes less than 30 minutes to make, so look no further when you're after a quick and easy snack.
If golden, chocolatey, sweet and fruity cakes are what you love, you're going to totally adore these cakes which fit that bill perfectly.
As you chose this recipe, I also think you will enjoy my vegan blueberry lemon cake, vegan strawberry cheesecake bars and my vegan strawberry lemon layer cake which are all packed with fruit and have great vibes.
Why You Will Love This Cake
- Amazing Glaze - The glaze which sits on top this cake is great for many reasons. Firstly, it has a delicious, silky smooth consistency which isn't too thick. Similar to ones you'll find on my vegan raspberry cake and vegan peanut butter banana cake recipes. Secondly it has a gorgeous pink color. This is because the glaze contains real strawberries!
- Tasty Texture - Like many of my other vegan loaf cakes, the texture is super light, moist and fluffy. This is largely down to the ratios of the ingredients, which is even more important than the individual ingredients themselves. Get the ratios wrong and the cake won't taste good.
- Simple Steps - The method for making the strawberry chocolate chip cake is super easy. Simply fold the dry and wet ingredients together, pour the batter into a loaf tin and bake. Make the glaze and apply it to the cakes. That's all you need to do.
- Allergy Friendly & Plant Based - This vegan strawberry chocolate chip cake recipe is fully vegan and dairy free.
- Apple cider vinegar - You will need to add this apple cider vinegar to the soy milk in order to create your vegan 'buttermilk'. Let the mixture curdle and from then onwards, it can work it's magic inside the cake batter.
- Canola oil - This is an important ingredient, as it gives the loaf cakes lots of moisture. This is the same type of oil as rapeseed oil, just with a different name.
- Fresh strawberries - Use fresh strawberries for this recipe like I did in my vegan strawberry shortcake white chocolate cheesecake and vegan frozen yogurt peanut butter strawberry bites. You'll need to chop these into small pieces. Frozen strawberries won't work well in these cakes.
- Vegan chocolate chips - As these are one of the main flavors in this recipe, you need to fold them into the cake batter. They compliment the strawberries so well.
- Powdered sugar - Make sure that the powdered sugar that you use is vegan, as some brands use bone char for whitening it.
See recipe card for full information on individual ingredients and quantities.
Substitutions & Variations
- If you would prefer a thicker frosting than the one I have made for this recipe, you can make a strawberry cream cheese frosting instead. See the dairy-free cream cheese frosting that I made for my vegan red velvet white chocolate sheet cake bars and simply add some chopped strawberries to the mixture when whipping it up inside the stand mixer.
- You can make this cake really easily. You only need to swap out one of the ingredients, which is the all-purpose flour. These days, it's really easy to find gluten-free flour replacements in grocery stores. Use a 1:1, gluten-free all-purpose flour baking blend.
How To Make Vegan Strawberry Chocolate Chip Cake
For the full method, please refer to the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
1: Firstly, grease your cake tins.
2: Make your vegan buttermilk.
3: Combine the dry cake ingredients inside a large bowl.
4: Fold the dry and wet ingredients together to form a batter.
5: Chop the strawberries.
6: Fold the chopped strawberries and the vegan chocolate chips into the cake batter. Pour the batter into the tins and bake.
7: Let the strawberry chocolate chip cakes cool.
8: Make the strawberry glaze and pour it over the two loaf cakes.
Use bright red, sweet, in season strawberries - Not only will in season strawberries look amazing inside the cake, but they will also taste so fresh and delicious. The last thing you want to use are off-color strawberries as they taste very unappetising. Also avoid using frozen strawberries too if you can.
Don't over-mix the cake batter - This cake is very soft in texture when it is made correctly, so it is very important that you gently fold the batter. Over-mixing the flour is very risky and can result in you having a dense cake.
If you really love strawberry flavors, adding extra strawberry is a great option. You can substitute the vanilla extract for 1-2 teaspoons of strawberry extract.
Yes you can! Slice and place inside freezer bags or airtight containers and store for up to 3 months.
Store this strawberry cake at room temperature for up to 3 days or in the fridge for 4 days. Make sure that you place it inside an airtight container so that it can stay as fresh as possible.
More Vegan Cake Recipes You'll Love
If you tried this Vegan Strawberry Chocolate Chip Cake Recipe or any other recipe on my website, please leave a 🌟 star rating and let me know how you go in the 📝 comments below. I love hearing from you!
Easy Vegan Strawberry Chocolate Chip Cake
For the cake batter:
- 200 ml soy milk
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 200 g all-purpose flour sifted
- 150 g granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 0.5 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 50 ml canola oil rapeseed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 160 g fresh strawberries tops removed and chopped into chunks
- 150 g vegan chocolate chips
For the strawberry glaze:
- 160 g powdered sugar sifted
- 5 teaspoons water
- 12 g strawberries tops removed and squashed with spoon
- Preheat your oven to 177 Celsius (350F).
- Grease two 20cm x 10cm loaf cake tins with vegan butter, then set aside.
Make the cake:
- Make the vegan buttermilk. Mix together the apple cider vinegar and the soy milk. While the buttermilk curdles for 8 minutes, measure out your other cake ingredients.
- Add the all-purpose flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt to a large mixing bowl. Combine well.
- To the dry ingredients, add the buttermilk, canola oil and vanilla extract. Fold the cake batter until most of the flour is combined, then fold in the chopped strawberries and chocolate chips.
- Pour the cake batter into your prepared tins equally. Bake the two cakes in center of the oven for 25 minutes. They should be golden brown on top, and a skewer should come out clean.
- Allow the strawberry chocolate chip cakes to cool in their tins for 15 minutes then place them onto a cooling rack.
Make the glaze:
- Add the powdered sugar and the water to a small bowl. Mix until a glaze has formed.
- Squash the strawberries with the bottom of a fork until they become juicy and mixable. Combine the squashed strawberries with the glaze to make a strawberry glaze. It should turn a light pink color.
- Spoon the glaze over the two loaf cakes equally.
- Not only will in season strawberries look amazing inside the cake, but they will also taste so fresh and delicious. The last thing you want to use are off-color strawberries as they taste very unappetising. Also avoid using frozen strawberries too if you can.
- This cake is very soft in texture when it is made correctly, so it is very important that you gently fold the batter. Over-mixing the flour is very risky and can result in you having a dense cake.