Calling all rocky road lovers. These vegan rocky road cookies are what you NEED. The vegan marshmallows melt right into them and they're just SO dreamy.
Prefer To Watch Instead?
Ingredients For This Recipe
- All-purpose flour
- Cocoa powder
- Baking soda
- Ground coffee
- Pinch of salt
- Brown sugar
- Vegan butter - room temperature
- Plain dairy free yogurt - room temperature
- Vanilla extract
- Soy milk - room temperature
- Chocolate chips
- Chopped almonds - you can substitute for other nuts
- Vegan marshmallows - add extra on top if you wish
How To Make Rocky Road Cookies
Step By Step Instructions
For the full method and ingredient amounts, please refer to the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
Line two large baking trays.
If you are using larger vegan marshmallows, chop until they resemble mini marshmallows.
Combine the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, coffee and salt in a large bowl.
Cream together the vegan butter and the brown sugar. Then add in the dairy free yoghurt, vanilla and soy milk.
Fold the dry mixture into the vegan butter mixture.
Fold in the vegan marshmallows, chopped almonds and chocolate chips.
Scoop your cookie dough and roll it into balls. Place them onto the lined baking tray.
Tips For Making Delicious Rocky Road Cookies
Try not to have marshmallows on the bottom of the cookies.
Strategically make sure that the vegan marshmallows lie in the centre and on top of the rocky road cookies. This way they won't be sticky when handled.
Underbake the cookies
This way the brownie cookies will come out soft. They will continue to bake at room temperature as they cool down.
Customise This Recipe
- Add Digestive cookies/biscuits to the cookie dough. When folding in the marshmallows, almonds and chocolate chips, add some in to make the rocky road even more authentic.
Frequently Asked Questions
Rocky road almost always consists of chocolate and marshmallows. The other ingredients vary from country to country such as, chopped nuts and cookies.
How To Store My Vegan Cookies
Store these vegan rocky road cookies at room temperature for 4 days in an airtight container. Store in the fridge for 7 days.
More Cookie Recipes
Chunky Vegan Rocky Road Cookies
- 220 g all-purpose flour
- 25 g cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 0.5 teaspoon ground coffee
- Pinch of salt
- 120 g brown sugar
- 100 g vegan butter room temperature
- 70 g plain dairy free yogurt room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1.5 tablespoons soy milk room temperature
- 150 g chocolate chips
- 50 g almonds chopped
- 65 g vegan marshmallows* see notes
- Preheat your oven to 177 Celsius (350F)
- Line 2 large baking trays with parchment paper. Set aside.
Make the cookie dough:
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, ground coffee and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate mixing bowl, use a wooden spoon to cream together the brown sugar with the room temperature vegan butter. You can also use a stand mixer with the paddle attachment.
- Add the room temperature dairy free yogurt, vanilla extract and the soy milk. Mix well.
- Sift the dry mixture into the wet mixture then fold it in until almost all the flour has been mixed in. Once there is only a little more flour to fold in, stop.
- Fold in the chocolate chips, chopped almonds and vegan marshmallows. Finally, fold in the final bit of flour.
Bake the cookies:
- Use a cookie scoop or an ice cream scoop to scoop 1 tablespoon of cookie dough onto the baking sheet. Use your hands to roll the scoops of cookie dough into smooth balls.
- Place the cookie dough balls at least 2-3cm apart on the large baking trays so that they don’t overlap each other when they flatten. If your oven only has room for one tray, bake one set of cookies at a time.
- Bake your rocky road cookies in the centre of the oven for 12 minutes. The edges of the cookies should become golden brown.
- After taking the cookies out of the oven, let them cool for 10 minutes.
- You can substitute the dairy free yogurt for unsweetened apple sauce.
- I used large vegan marshmallows and chopped them. Using mini marshmallows is easier.