Say hello to carrot cake - with a unique twist. This delicious and super easy vegan carrot sheet cake is topped with a generously chunky layer of chocolate ganache and it works so well.
One of the wonderful things about this sheet cake is that it takes less than 30 minutes to bake inside the oven. This recipe is similar to the Brazilian carrot cake style and now that I've tried it, I can totally see why they choose this combination. I think you'll adore it too!
I personally love to serve this cake with fresh vegan single cream which compliments the cake so nicely when soaked into it. It also tastes great with custard if you'd prefer something warmer. The texture of the cake is unbelievably soft, light and airy and no matter how you serve it, you won't be disappointed.
Since you're keen on treats that are chocolatey and fun, you totally need to see my vegan double chocolate pudding pie, vegan chocolate ganache filled cupcakes and vegan 5 minute chocolate baked oatmeal as they'll all satisfy those cravings.
Why You Will Love This Recipe
- The Topping - This sheet cake is covered with a layer of creamy chocolate, which is similar to the one that I smothered my vegan orange poppy seed cake in.
- Full of Flavor - This recipe uses a lot of carrots and therefore, the flavor is even stronger than your average carrot cake.
- Amazing Texture - If you've ever tried my vegan almond lemon cake, this one has a very similar consistency. It's so fluffy and moist, just like a good carrot cake should be. The addition of nutmeg also makes a huge difference.
- Easy To Make - The method is so simple to follow, meaning that you can easily execute it to perfection.
- Allergy Friendly & Plant Based - This easy carrot cake is entirely vegan and dairy free.
- Grated Carrots - As you will be very aware, this is the main ingredient for this recipe. Make sure that they are freshly grated so that the moisture levels of the cake aren't affected. I also used fresh carrots in my vegan carrot cake muffins and my vegan carrot walnut loaf cake recipes and they both turned out beautifully.
- Nutmeg - This is another important ingredient for creating an authentic-tasting carrot cake. This simple spice really does make a huge difference.
- Vegan Double Cream - I love to use dairy free double cream as it gives the chocolate ganache a super soft texture, as well as a delicious creaminess which is honestly so perfect.
See recipe card for full information on individual ingredients and quantities.
Variations & Substitutions
- If chocolate ganache isn't your thing, you can change the topping. Perhaps you'd like to try something such as, a simple glaze topping by mixing powdered sugar with water or plant milk until you get a consistency you like. You can also make a buttercream frosting like the one I made for my eggless coffee cake loaf.
- Although I haven't tested this, you can try to make this cake gluten free by swapping out the all-purpose flour for a 1:1, gluten free all-purpose flour blend. This should give you a good texture.
How To Make A Perfect Vegan Carrot Sheet Cake
For the full method, please refer to the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
1: Line a square baking tin with parchment paper.
2: Combine the dry carrot cake ingredients inside a large mixing bowl.
3: Add the wet batter ingredients and fold.
4: Pour your cake batter into the lined tin. Bake the sheet cake.
5: Let the cake cool once it comes out of the oven.
6: Melt the vegan chocolate.
7: Pour the chocolate topping over the cooled cake and refrigerate.
8: Take the cake out from the fridge once the chocolate has set.
9: Slice the carrot cake and serve.
Use freshly grated carrots - Don't use pre-packaged grated carrots for this recipe as your carrot cake will most likely, end up being dry. Grate them freshly yourself and it'll taste much better.
Baking chocolate is best - This is because baking-specific chocolate melts far better than many other types of chocolate. This helps the texture to be smooth and less clumpy which is always nice.
Making the chocolate ganache - My chocolate ganache topping is so easy to make in this recipe. All you need to do is melt the chocolate first and once it is smooth, stir in the vegan double cream until creamy. Pour the chocolate over the cake and refrigerate until it sets. I told you it was simple!
For this recipe, I'd advise that you refrigerate the sheet cake due to the chocolate ganache layer on top. This will make it firm, instead of melty.
By adding too much flour or too little liquid/vegan fats to an eggless carrot cake, it will become dry and crumbly. Make sure that you measure the ingredients very carefully.
Store this cake at room temperature for up to 24 hours or inside the fridge for up to 2 days. Make sure that you store it inside airtight containers.
Yes, it is healthier in comparison to other types of cake, but keep in mind that it should still be eaten in moderation as it still contains things such as, sugar.
More Vegan Cake Recipes That You Will Love
If you tried this Vegan Carrot Sheet Cake Recipe or any other recipe on my website, please leave a 🌟 star rating and let me know how you go in the 📝 comments below. I love hearing from you!
Vegan Carrot Sheet Cake with Chocolate Ganache
For the carrot cake batter:
- 150 g freshly grated carrots
- 190 g all-purpose flour sifted
- 130 g light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1.5 teaspoons nutmeg
- 225 ml soy milk
- 1.5 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 90 ml vegetable oil
For the chocolate ganache topping:
- 300 g vegan dark baking chocolate chopped
- 200 ml vegan double cream
- Preheat oven to 177 Celsius (350F). Also line a square, 8-inch cake tin with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Grate your carrots.
Make the carrot cake batter:
- In a large mixing bowl, mix the flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, nutmeg and the grated carrots until combined.
- Next, pour in the soy milk, apple cider vinegar and vegetable oil. Fold the dry into the wet ingredients until the carrot cake batter is smooth and no lumps of flour remain. Don’t over-mix.
Bake the carrot cake:
- Pour your cake batter into the lined cake tin. Bake for 25 minutes in the centre of your oven or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Let the baked carrot cake cool inside the tin for 10 minutes or so, then transfer to a cooling rack.
Make the chocolate ganache topping:
- Finally, make your chocolate ganache topping. Place a large, heatproof bowl over a pot of boiling water. Use the double-boiling (bain-marie) method in order to melt the chocolate. Make sure that you stir constantly until it melts to avoid any sticking.
- Once the chocolate is melted, add your dairy free double cream and stir it into the melted chocolate until creamy and combined.
- Pour the chocolate over the carrot cake inside the tin, then place it into the fridge for 45 minutes so that it can thicken. Slice and serve.
- Don't use pre-packaged grated carrots for this recipe as your carrot cake will most likely, end up being dry. Grate them freshly yourself and it'll taste much better.
- This is because baking-specific chocolate melts far better than many other types of chocolate. This helps the texture to be smooth and less clumpy which is always nice.
- My chocolate ganache topping is so easy to make in this recipe. All you need to do is melt the chocolate first and once it is smooth, stir in the vegan double cream until creamy. Pour the chocolate over the cake and refrigerate until it sets. I told you it was simple!