When you need a quick dessert which is full of chocolatey goodness, this vegan double chocolate chip mug cake might be the recipe that you need. It's one of the easiest mug cake recipes that you'll ever make!
What's great about this treat is that it takes less than 5 minutes to make. It's super rich and moist and makes a perfect snack at any time of the day.
I love to serve this with all kinds of things such as, dairy-free vanilla ice cream, vegan double cream alternatives and dairy-free custard. Which I choose depends on my mood. This mug cake also tastes great on it's own.
If you love chocolate recipes like this, you'll also enjoy my vegan mocha cake which has a tasty chocolate vibes, just like my vegan double chocolate mousse cake and vegan chocolate ganache filled cupcakes.
Why You Will Love This Mug Cake
- Amazing Texture - This chocolate chip mug cake is super melty, gooey and fudgy all at the same time. The consistency is also super soft which compliments the firm chocolate chips nicely.
- Ready in No Time - This easy recipe takes a total of just four minutes to make. All you need to do is make the mug cake batter, pour it into a ramekin and cook inside the microwave.
- Strong Flavors - This mug cake is so chocolatey and those flavors truly dominate the mug cake in a good way. When I try a dessert which is 'double chocolate', I expect those sensations to be at the forefront. Consider my vegan double chocolate chip pancakes and vegan single serve double chocolate chip cookie recipes which fit this category perfectly.
- Allergy Friendly & Plant Based - This vegan double chocolate chip mug cake recipe is entirely vegan and dairy free.
- All-purpose flour - Don't use any other kinds of flour for this recipe. The ratio of the all-purpose flour of needs to be correct, otherwise the texture of the mug cake is likely to turn out to be wrong.
- Baking powder - This is the most important chocolate mug cake ingredient. Without this leavening agent, the cake won't be fluffy at all and it will also affect the rising process too.
- Vegetable oil - In vegan mug cake recipes, oil and more specifically, vegetable oil is very important. As there are no eggs, vegetable oil becomes responsible for creating the moisture within the cake. Without it this vegan chocolate chip mug cake would be a little dry. Most of the mug cakes that I make, including my vegan mug brownie and my vegan banana mug cake use vegetable oil.
- Vegan chocolate chips - It wouldn't be a chocolate chip mug cake without the chocolate chips. If you wish, you can increase the amount. The recommended amount is 1 teaspoon but a little more won't hurt.
See recipe card for full information on individual ingredients and quantities.
Substitutions & Variations
- If you like, you can swap out the granulated sugar for brown (demerara) sugar, 1:1. Brown sugar contains molasses which gives the cake a deeper sweet flavor, as well as also making the double chocolate chip mug cake more moist. I use both kinds of sugar interchangeably.
- Add more fillings to the mug cake if you feel that it needs an extra element. This can be anything from chopped hazelnuts, to a second type of chocolate chips. In my vegan lemon poppy seed mug cake the poppy seeds really lift the lemon cake. There really are so many options.
How To Make A Chocolate Chip Mug Cake
For the full method, please refer to the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
1: Grease the ramekins.
2: Mix the dry ingredients inside a large mixing bowl.
3: Add in the wet ingredients.
4: Pour the chocolate cake batter into the ramekin. Cook in the microwave.
5: Sprinkle on some extra chocolate chips. Cook in the microwave.
6: Let the mug cake cool a little. Serve.
No need to heat treat the flour - Raw and uncooked flour is inedible and if you consume it, you may become unwell. However, as this recipe only calls for a tiny amount of flour, it cooks almost instantly in the microwave inside the mug cake. Therefore, there is no need to heat treat it beforehand.
Use high quality cocoa powder - This recipe calls for cocoa powder but the type of cocoa powder that you use is completely your choice. Some are better than others and the more high-quality it is, the richer and luscious the mug cake will be.
Yes! Substitute the all-purpose flour for a 1:1 gluten free baking flour mix that contains xanthan gum. This will give the cake a good texture.
I recommend that you eat this mug cake on the day that you make it, while it is still warm for ultimate freshness and a tasty experience. I don't recommend freezing the cake.
This depends on what the mug is made from. Don't use any plastic and polypropylene mugs as this will melt and become a health hazard. Most metal, stainless steel, ceramic, pyrex and silicone mugs are suitable. If baking inside the oven cook at 176 Celsius (350F) for 10-15 minutes. Keep checking on it.
More Vegan Mug Cake Recipes
If you tried this Vegan Double Chocolate Chip Mug Cake Recipe or any other recipe on my website, please leave a 🌟 star rating and let me know how you go in the 📝 comments below. I love hearing from you!
Gooey Double Chocolate Chip Mug Cake (Vegan, 1 Minute)
Mug Cake Batter:
- 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1.5 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1.5 Tablespoons cocoa powder
- 0.25 teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon vegan chocolate chips
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 Tablespoons soy milk
- 0.25 teaspoon vanilla extract
Make the mug cake batter:
- In a mug or a ramekin, combine the flour, granulated sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder salt and chocolate chips.
- Next, whisk in the oil, soy milk and vanilla until a smooth batter forms.
- Pour the mug cake batter equally into a mug or a 4-inch baking ramekin.
- Sprinkle some extra chocolate chips on top if you wish. This will make the mug cake even meltier.
Bake the mug cake:
- Bake for 40-50 seconds inside the microwave, depending on how cooked you like it. Let the cake cool a little then spoon it onto a serving plate or eat it straight from the mug.
- Raw and uncooked flour is inedible and if you consume it, you may become unwell. However, as this recipe only calls for a tiny amount of flour, it cooks almost instantly in the microwave inside the mug cake. Therefore, there is no need to heat treat it beforehand.
- This recipe calls for cocoa powder but the type of cocoa powder that you use is completely your choice. Some are better than others and the more high-quality it is, the richer and luscious the mug cake will be.