Moist & Creamy Chocolate Cake
If you're a big fan of tiramisu, why not try it in cake form? This vegan tiramisu cake consists of a light and delicious chocolate sponges which are generously covered with a smooth coffee cream. Who wants a big slice?
Another cake recipe that I think you love is my eggless coffee cake loaf which also gives heavenly espresso vibes.
Prefer To Watch Instead?
Ingredients For This Recipe
- Soy milk
- Apple cider vinegar - to be stirred into the soy milk to create buttermilk.
- All-purpose flour
- Cocoa powder - use high quality cocoa powder.
- Granulated sugar
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- Canola oil - this is the same type of oil as rapeseed oil.
- Vanilla extract
- Hot coffee
- Vegan cream cheese
- Vegan butter block
- Instant espresso powder - for the coffee cream.
- Powdered sugar
What is Tiramisu?
Tiramisu is a traditional Italian dessert that mainly consists of mascarpone, coffee and cocoa powder. This 'veganised' recipe captures all of those flavours, combined with the soft texture of cake.
How To Make A Tiramisu Chocolate Cake
For the full method and ingredient amounts, please refer to the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
1: Make the vegan buttermilk and let it curdle.
2: Line and grease two round baking tins.
3: Make the chocolate cake batter.
4: Pour the batter into the prepared tins. Bake the two cake halves.
5: Let the two cakes cool while you prepare the filling/topping.
6: Make the coffee cream.
7: Fill the cake with the cream and spread it on top.
Tips For Making My Vegan Tiramisu Cake
Don't Over-Mix The Cake Batter
As the chocolate batter for this cake is thin and runny, it can be tempting to whisk it. Don't do that. By the time the coffee is added, the flour will have already been folded
Don't continue to mix for too long after you pour the coffee in. Once a smooth has formed and everything is incorporated, leave it alone.
Use Instant Espresso Powder
When mixed into the coffee cream, this dissolves instantly and has great flavour. Using actual coffee granules on the other hand will likely cause there to be lumps of coffee inside the cream.
Why You Will Love This Creamy Tiramisu Cake
- The coffee cream really brings the tiramisu vibes to life.
- This recipe is very easy.
- It is a coffee lover's dream.
- The chocolate cake is moist and light.
- This treat is full vegan and dairy free.
Frequently Asked Questions
A regular tiramisu recipe is not vegan. It traditionally contains ingredients such as, mascarpone cheese and possibly cream. I have used an alternate vegan cream cheese amongst other things to make my cake filling/topping.
How To Store This Cake
Keep this cake refrigerated. Store inside airtight containers for up to 4 days. This tiramisu cake still tastes great in the days after making it.
More Coffee Cake Recipes
Vegan Ginger Cake with Coffee GlazePrint
Vegan Tiramisu Chocolate Cake
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 1 Cake 1x
- Diet: Vegan
My chocolate vegan tiramisu cake recipe is perfect not only, for tiramisu lovers but all coffee lovers in general. Hope you enjoy it.
Dry Cake Ingredients:
- 350g all-purpose flour
- 250g brown sugar
- 60g cocoa powder
- 1.5 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
Wet Cake Ingredients:
- 450ml plant milk
- 2.5 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 175ml vegetable oil
For the coffee cream frosting:
- 200g vegan cream cheese (room temperature)
- 60g vegan butter block (room temperature)
- 0.5 teaspoon instant espresso powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 500g powdered sugar (sifted)
- Cocoa powder (to taste)
- Preheat your oven to 177 Celsius (350F) and line 2 round, 7-inch cake tins with parchment paper. Set aside.
Make the chocolate cake batter:
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all of your dry cake ingredients.
- Next, pour in the wet ingredients. Fold your dry ingredients into the wet but don’t over-mix. Patiently continue to fold until all the pockets of flour are gone and the batter is smooth.
Bake the cake:
- Pour the cake batter into the two prepared tins equally and bake in the centre of your oven for 25 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Let the cakes cool inside their tins for at least 15 minutes, then place onto a cooling rack.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Bakes
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Tiramisu Cake
- Serving Size: 1 Slice
- Calories: 471
- Sugar: 62.8 g
- Sodium: 408.1 mg
- Fat: 15.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 82.9 g
- Protein: 4.5 g
- Cholesterol: 16.8 mg
Keywords: tiramisu, vegan tiramisu, tiramisu cake, vegan cakes, vegan chocolate cake, coffee cake
Chocolate cake and tiramisu is officially now the best combo. Thanks for this recipe 🤤