Creamy Chocolate Slices
These moist and soft chocolate cake bars are topped with a smooth and delicious vegan mascarpone frosting which compliments the cake so nicely. I really really recommend these bars if you love a good sheet cake.
If you love cakes topped with whipped frosting, be sure to check out my vegan carrot cake bars recipe too.
Prefer To Watch Instead?
Important Ingredients Overview & Notes
- Cocoa powder - try to buy high quality cocoa powder if you can for a better and more chocolatey taste.
- Apple cider vinegar - this is one of the main ingredients for the vegan 'buttermilk' and helps to give the cake a great texture.
- Vegan cream cheese - bring to room temperature before using this. I love to use the vegan Oatly & Philadelphia brands.
- Vegan block butter - avoid any vegan spreads or margarines. Block butter is thicker and makes better frosting.
- Lemon juice - as this recipe has a vegan 'mascarpone' frosting, a little lemon juice really helps to give it a 'cheesier' taste.
How To Make Vegan Mascarpone Chocolate Cake
For the full method and ingredient amounts, please refer to the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
1: Line a square cake tin with parchment paper.
2: Mix the dry chocolate cake ingredients inside a large bowl.
3: Add the wet ingredients and fold.
4: Pour the batter into the prepared tin. Bake the cake.
5: Let the cake cool.
6: Make the 'mascarpone' frosting.
7: Spread the frosting over the cake and serve.
Expert Tips & Tricks
Bring The Frosting Ingredients To Room Temperature
For example, if the vegan cream cheese is cold when you make the frosting, it can result in it being lumpy and unappetising. Remove the vegan cream cheese, vegan butter and coconut cream from the fridge at least 90 minutes before whipping up your frosting.
Fold The Cake Batter
Don't mix it as you are risking over-mixing the batter. Fold the cake batter gently and by doing that, you will have a better-textured cake.
What Is Mascarpone?
Mascarpone is a type of Italian cheese, known for its sweetness and creaminess. Unfortunately, mascarpone isn't vegan and therefore, that's why I've made is alternative recipe.
My vegan mascarpone cream cheese frosting offers the ever so subtle 'cream-cheesy' taste of non-vegan cream cheese frosting while containing no animal products.
Why You Will Love This Recipe:
- The vegan frosting is so creamy and it tastes like actual 'mascarpone'.
- This chocolate cake is moist, light and fluffy.
- It doesn't take long to make.
- The recipe is so easy to follow.
- This sheet cake is fully vegan and dairy free.
How To Make The 'Mascarpone' Frosting
Making the frosting is super simple and only takes a matter of minutes to whip up. All you need to do is cream together room temperature vegan cream cheese, vegan butter and coconut cream until smooth, then add in powdered sugar and lemon juice, beating until thick and creamy. I told you it was easy!
Store this cake at room temperature inside an airtight container for up to 4 days or inside the fridge for 4 days.
Check Out More Chocolate RecipesPrint
Vegan Mascarpone & Chocolate Sheet Cake Bars
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 12 slices 1x
- Diet: Vegan
Be sure to try my vegan mascarpone chocolate sheet cake that is topped with a smooth and creamy frosting. You'll love this super soft treat.
For the chocolate cake:
- 175g all-purpose flour
- 30g cocoa powder
- 125g brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 225ml soy milk
- 1.25 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 90ml vegetable oil
Dairy Free Mascarpone Frosting:
- 70g vegan cream cheese
- 70g vegan block butter
- 1.5 Tablespoons coconut cream (can refrigerated overnight, you need the thick part on top)
- 250g powdered sugar (sifted)
- 0.5 teaspoons lemon juice
- Cocoa powder (to taste)
- Preheat oven to 177 Celsius (350F). Grease an 8-inch, square cake tin with vegan butter and line with parchment paper. Set aside.
Make the chocolate cake batter:
- In a large bowl, mix the all-purpose flour, cocoa powder, brown sugar, baking soda and salt.
- Pour in the soy milk, apple cider vinegar and vegetable oil. Fold the dry ingredients into the wet and don’t over-mix. Just make sure that all the pockets of flour are gone and that there are no lumps.
Bake the cake:
- Pour the chocolate cake batter into the lined tin and bake in the centre of your oven for 25 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool inside the tin for 15 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack.
Make the dairy free mascarpone frosting:
- Add the whisk attachment to your stand mixer. Cream together the vegan cream cheese, vegan butter and coconut cream on a high speed until it becomes creamy. The texture might be a little lumpy at this point due to the coconut.
- Switch to a medium speed and add the powdered sugar in increments. Once you’ve added all the powdered sugar and it is combined, add the lemon juice and beat one more time on a high speed for 5 minutes until creamy and any lumps should be gone.
Assemble the cake:
- Spread your vegan ‘mascarpone’ frosting over the chocolate cake. Smooth it out with a palette knife. Dust with a little cocoa powder. Slice and serve.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Bakes
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: 'Mascarpone' Chocolate Cake
- Serving Size: 1 Slice
- Calories: 293
- Sugar: 31.2 g
- Sodium: 380.2 mg
- Fat: 12 g
- Carbohydrates: 44.9 g
- Protein: 3 g
- Cholesterol: 5.9 mg
Keywords: vegan mascarpone, vegan chocolate cake, vegan cake, vegan treats, vegan chocolate, vegan sheet cake
my chocolate cake turned out really moist and the frosting did have a nice ‘mascarpone’ taste to it 🙏