One-Minute Lemon Cake
My vegan lemon mug cake recipe is one of my favourite quick recipes on the blog because it tastes as good as a lemon cake that has baked in the oven. I always love adding poppy seeds to cakes too as they add great subtle flavours to a cake.
I also have a lemon poppy seed cake recipe if you'd prefer to make a full cake.
Prefer To Watch Instead?
Ingredients For This Recipe
- All-purpose flour
- Granulated sugar
- Baking powder
- Poppy seeds - give the cake extra flavours and aromas.
- Soy milk
- Vegetable oil
- Fresh lemon juice - don't use concentrated lemon juice.
- Lemon zest
- Powdered sugar - for the glaze.
How To Make A Lemon Poppy Seed Mug Cake
For the full method and ingredient amounts, please refer to the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
1. Make the lemon glaze.
2. Mix together the dry mug cake ingredients.
3. Add in the wet ingredients.
4. Cook the lemon mug cake.
5. Top with the glaze and serve.
Tips For Making Lemon Mug Cakes
Don't Over-Mix The Mug Cake Batter
This cake isn't the biggest so you want to enjoy every spoonful of it. This won't be possible if you over-mix the mug cake batter as the cake will become dense and gummy. Mix gently until a batter is smooth and combined.
Create Other Topping Variations
I understand that not everyone wants to top their mug cake with a glaze. I sometimes like to top my mug cakes with fresh blueberries and dairy free whipped cream. I've even had it with a dairy-free yogurt and maple syrup. There really are so many options!
Why You'll Love This Lemon Mug Cake
- The mug cake has a perfect soft texture.
- It only requires a few ingredients.
- This recipe is a great single serve treat for one.
- The mug cake only takes one minute to cook.
- This cake is fully vegan and dairy free.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, you can. Make sure that it is a large ramekin as this cake will rise quickly. Also make sure that it is microwave-safe.
A mug cake is a single serving treat that is usually made inside a mug. See the previous question for variations.
I don't recommend this for this lemon mug cake recipe.
I recommend a large mug that holds at least 8 ounces.
How To Store This Lemon Poppy Seed Mug Cake
I advise that you eat the mug cake fresh as soon as it has been cooked but if you can't eat it immediately cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for up to 12 hours. Reheat in 10 second intervals inside the microwave.
More Mug RecipesPrint
Vegan Lemon Poppy Seed Mug Cake
- Total Time: 5 minutes
- Yield: 1 Mug Cake 1x
- Diet: Vegan
My vegan lemon mug cake is filled with aromatic poppy seeds and only takes one minute! If you love easy treats look no further.
For the lemon drizzle:
- 30g powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoon soy milk
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
For the mug cake batter:
- 4 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2.5 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- 0.5 teaspoon baking powder
- 0.5 teaspoon poppy seeds
- 4 Tablespoons soy milk
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- 0.5 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
Make the lemon drizzle:
- Add the powdered sugar to a small bowl. Mix in both the soy milk and lemon juice until a smooth glaze forms. Set aside.
Make the mug cake:
- In a large ramekin or a microwave-safe mug, mix together the all-purpose flour, brown sugar and baking powder and poppy seeds.
- Next, pour in the soy milk, vegetable oil, lemon juice and lemon zest.
- Fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until the batter is just combined. Don’t over-mix.
- Cook your lemon poppy seed mug cake in the microwave for 70-80 seconds. After the mug cake gets past the 1-minute mark make sure that you continuously check on the cake as each microwave is different. The cake will continue to cook at room temperature.
- Drizzle the lemon glaze topping over the mug cake and enjoy!
- Prep Time: 4 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 minute
- Category: Quick & Easy
- Method: Cooking
- Cuisine: Lemon Poppy Seed Mug Cake
- Serving Size: 1 Mug Cake
- Calories: 516
- Sugar: 62.6 g
- Sodium: 53.4 mg
- Fat: 15.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 92 g
- Protein: 5.6 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: vegan lemon cake, lemon poppy seed cake, lemon mug cake, mug cake, microwave cake, vegan cakes
G. Taylor says
Quick, easy and delicious