I love lemon desserts so much! Check out these vegan lemon poppy seed muffins which are topped with a tangy glaze.
Prefer To Watch Instead?
Ingredients For This Recipe
- Large, ripe banana - the egg replacer for these muffins
- Granulated sugar
- Soy milk
- Apple cider vinegar
- Vegetable oil
- Vanilla extract
- Zest of 1 medium lemon - for that extra lemony flavour
- Freshly squeezed lemon juice
- All-purpose flour
- Baking powder
- Poppy seeds - these have a really nice taste
- Powdered sugar - for the glaze
How To Make Vegan Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins
Step By Step Instructions
For the full method and ingredient amounts, please refer to the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
Line your muffin trays with cupcake liners. Grease with oil.
Add the wet ingredients and sugar to a bowl. Mix.
Fold in the remaining dry ingredients.
Pour the mixture into the liners and bake.
Let the muffins cool.
Make the lemon glaze.
Spoon the glaze over the muffins.
Tips For Making Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins
Add blueberries to these muffins
Lemon and blueberries are a match made in heaven. I recommend that you use fresh blueberries and that you add them just before the muffin batter is full folded.
Don't Add Too Much Vinegar
Don't add any more acid to these muffins other than the advised lemon juice and apple cider vinegar. Too much acid will alter the consistency of the cake.
Fill The Cupcake Liners
Try to fill each liner with as much muffin batter as possible. This gives you the high tops on the muffins that we all love.
These always look great when the recipes use streusel and the 'high tops' are golden brown.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, you can! Oat milk and almond milk both work very well.
I haven't tested this but try using a gluten-free baking flour blend, 1:1.
This is usually because the muffin batter was over mixed. Try folding your batter instead until all the flour is combined.
How To Store My Vegan Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins
Store these muffins in an airtight container at room temperature for 2 days or in the fridge for 3 days.
More Lemon Cake Recipes
Easy Vegan Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins
- 1 large ripe banana (mashed)
- 180 g granulated sugar
- 240 ml soy milk
- 2.5 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 75 ml vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Zest of 1 medium lemon
- 50 ml freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 275 g all-purpose flour sifted
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1.5 Tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 160 g powdered sugar
- 4 Tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Preheat your oven to 200 Celsius (390F).
- Line two 6-hole muffin trays with cupcake liners.
- Grease the 12 cupcake liners with a little oil. Set aside.
Make the muffin batter:
- To a large mixing bowl, add the mashed banana, granulated sugar, soy milk, apple cider vinegar, vegetable oil, vanilla extract, lemon zest and lemon juice. Whisk well.
- Now, fold the flour, baking powder, poppy seeds and salt into the mixture.
- Keep folding the muffin batter until there are no more pockets of flour.
- Equally, pour the batter into the cupcake liners so that they are almost full.
Bake the muffins:
- Place your lemon poppyseed muffins into the centre of the oven. Bake for 20 minutes until they are golden brown, and a skewer comes out clean. Each oven is different so they may take 25 minutes.
- Let the lemon muffins to cool in the trays for 10-15 minutes. Transfer them over to a cooling rack so that they can cool fully.
Make the lemon glaze:
- Add the powdered sugar to a small bowl followed by the lemon juice. Mix well. It should be quite thin in consistency.
- Spoon the glaze over the cooled muffins or dip them in. Enjoy.