Lemon drizzle cakes are one of my favorites of all time. Lemon cake AND lemon glaze together? Yes please! This vegan lemon drizzle cake is super soft and comforting.
Some other lemon cakes that you'll love are my vegan lemon olive oil cake and eggless lemon cake loaf with chocolate buttercream.
Prefer To Watch Instead?
Ingredients For This Recipe
- Soy milk
- Apple cider vinegar
- All-purpose flour - sifted
- Granulated sugar
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- Canola oil - this is the same as rapeseed oil
- Vanilla extract
- Freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Zest of 2 medium-sized lemons
How To Make Lemon Drizzle Cake
Step By Step Instructions
For the full method and ingredient amounts, please refer to the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
Grease your two loaf tins.
Make the vegan buttermilk by mixing the soy milk and vinegar.
Combine your dry ingredients in a large bowl.
Pour in your vegan buttermilk.
Now, add in the oil, vanilla, lemon juice and lemon zest.
Fold the dry ingredients into the wet.
Pour the cake batter into the two cake tins.
Bake your cake.
Glaze the lemon cake with a lemon drizzle.
Don't over mix the batter
In fact, don't mix at all. Just fold the dry into the wet until all the flour has gone. Mixing is far easier but the cake will be denser. Be as patient as you can.
Best Tin For This Cake
The cake tin which is best for this recipe is a 20cm x 10cm loaf tin which is 6cm deep.
This is usually caused by opening your oven door before the cake has set.
The ratio between the wet and dry ingredients may be imbalanced. It could also be because the oven temperature was too low.
How To Store My Vegan Lemon Drizzle Cake
Store this lemon drizzle cake in an airtight container for 3 days at room temperature or 4 days in the refrigerator.
More Vegan Lemon Cake Recipes
Easy Vegan Lemon Drizzle Cake
- 200 ml soy milk
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 200 g all-purpose flour sifted
- 150 g granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 0.5 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 50 ml canola oil rapeseed oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 50 ml freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Zest of 2 medium-sized lemons
- 160 g powdered sugar
- Freshly squeezed lemon juice as much as you need to reach desired consistency
- Preheat your oven to 175 Celsius (350).
- Grease two 20cm length x 10cm width cake loaf tins with cold vegan butter. Make sure they are at least 6cm deep. Set aside.
- Make vegan buttermilk by mixing the apple cider vinegar into the soy milk. Set aside for 8 minutes while it curdles. Measure out your other ingredients in the meantime.
- To a large mixing bowl, add all of the dry ingredients. Mix to combine.
- Now, pour the curdled soy milk into the dry mixture. Then add the canola oil, vanilla extract, lemon juice and lemon zest.
- Fold the dry ingredients into the wet gently. Keep folding the mixture over itself until no pockets of flour remain. Don’t mix.
- Pour the folded lemon cake batter into the prepared cake loaf tins. Bake in the centre of the oven for 20 minutes. When they are ready a skewer should come out clean.
- Remove the lemon cakes from the oven. Let them cool in the tin for 15 minutes then carefully remove the cakes from the tins by tapping on the bottom of the tins and carefully lifting them. The cakes should slip out.
Lemon Drizzle Frosting:
- Sift your powdered sugar into a medium bowl.
- Add fresh lemon juice to the powdered sugar until the glaze reaches a consistency that you like.
- Drizzle the glaze over the top of the cakes.