If you love all things, you'll adore this vegan cinnamon cake which is topped nicely with crumbly streusel. The cake itself is really light and soft and makes a perfect festive sweet treat.
Prefer To Watch Instead?
Ingredients For This Recipe
- Brown Sugar
- Vegan Butter
- Soy milk
- Apple cider vinegar
- All-purpose flour
- Light brown sugar
- Ground cinnamon
- Nutmeg - compliments the cinnamon flavour very nicely
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- Canola oil - this is the same as rapeseed oil
- Vanilla extract
- Maple syrup - adds a nice sweetness to the cake
How To Make Vegan Cinnamon Cake
Step By Step Instructions
For the full method and ingredient amounts, please refer to the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
Make the streusel first. Mix the brown sugar and the flour in a small bowl.
Add the vegan butter. Use your hands or a fork to make a crumble.
Grease two loaf cake tins with vegan butter.
Make the vegan buttermilk by combining the soy milk and apple cider vinegar.
Combine the dry cake ingredients inside a bowl. Mix well.
Add the wet ingredients to the bowl.
Fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until the cake batter is smooth.
Pour the cake batter into the cake tins and sprinkle the streusel onto it.
Bake the cakes, then set aside to cool.
Tips For Making Cinnamon Cake
Don't Over Mix The Cake Batter
This will mean that the texture of your cake will become dense. Fold the batter instead until all the flour pockets are gone. This will give you a lighter cake.
Avoid Over Baking
This cinnamon cake dries out fast if it is left in the oven. Make sure you remove the cakes from the oven as soon as 20 minutes are up or until a skewer comes out clean.
Customise This Recipe
- Add some glaze to the top of the cake if that is what you prefer. Mix water into powdered sugar until you get a consistency that you like.
Frequently Asked Questions
I wouldn't personally add any more than an extra half teaspoon. No matter how much you like cinnamon adding too much will make the flavour too strong.
How To Store My Cinnamon Loaf Cake
Store at room temperature for 3 days inside an airtight storage container.
More Cinnamon Recipes
Vegan Cinnamon Loaf Cake with Streusel
- 30 g all-purpose flour
- 25 g brown sugar
- 1.5 Tablespoons salted vegan butter softened
Cinnamon Cake Batter:
- 200 ml soy milk
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 190 g all-purpose flour sifted
- 150 g light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 0.5 teaspoon allspice
- 0.5 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 0.5 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 50 ml canola oil rapeseed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- Preheat your oven to 177 Celsius (350F).
- Grease two 20cm x 10cm loaf cake tins with cold vegan butter. Set aside.
Make the streusel:
- To a small bowl, add the flour and brown sugar. Mix them together.
- Add the vegan butter. Use your hands to combine all the ingredients until it has a crumbly texture like large breadcrumbs. Cover the streusel and place it into the fridge until you need it.
Make the cake:
- To create your vegan ‘buttermilk’, mix the soy milk and apple cider vinegar together. Set the buttermilk aside for 8 minutes so that it can curdle. Measure out the other ingredients for the recipe in the meantime.
- Combine the flour, light brown sugar, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- Pour in the curdled soy milk, canola oil, vanilla extract and maple syrup. Fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until the pockets of flour are gone.
- Pour your cake batter equally into the two prepared cake tins and sprinkle the streusel on top of each of them. Bake them in the centre of the oven for 20 minutes. By this point, a skewer will come out of the cakes nice and clean.
- Let the cakes cool in their tins for 15 minutes, then place them on a cooling rack to cool completely.