Chocolate cake on its own is a great, wonderful thing but add peanut butter frosting and caramel to the mix and you have pure cake paradise. That is exactly what this vegan snickers cake is.
Prefer To Watch Instead?
Ingredients For This Recipe
- Soy milk
- Apple cider vinegar
- All-purpose flour
- Cocoa powder
- Brown sugar
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- Canola oil - this is the same as rapeseed oil.
- Vanilla extract
- Vegan dulce de leche caramel - see recipe here
- Smooth peanut butter
- Vegan butter
- Powdered sugar
- Chopped salted peanuts - or whole peanuts if you prefer
How To Make A Snickers Cake
Step By Step Instructions
For the full method and ingredient amounts, please refer to the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
Grease two cake loaf tins with vegan butter.
Make the vegan buttermilk.
Combine the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
Pour the vegan buttermilk into the dry ingredients.
Add the remaining wet ingredients.
Pour the cake batter into the tins. Bake.
Let the cakes cool.
Make the vegan caramel.
Make the peanut butter frosting. Add the peanut butter, vegan butter, vanilla and salt to a bowl. Mix.
Pour in the powdered sugar. Mix again until it resembles breadcrumbs.
Stir in the soy milk.
Tips For Making Vegan Snickers Cake
Make this cake more authentic
Add chopped peanuts to the centre in between the two chocolate sponges. Understandably, some people prefer them only on top of the cake.
Don't over mix the cake batter
This will take away the lightness from the cake that we all want. Instead you'll have a dense cake. Fold the batter. Don't mix.
Frequently Asked Questions
Chocolate cake that is left in the oven for longer than the recommended time will dry out quickly. This issue could also be caused by adding too much flour.
Snickers are a type of confectionary, consisting of nougat, caramel, chopped peanuts and milk chocolate.
How To Store This Vegan Cake
Store this vegan snickers cake in an airtight container at room temperature or the fridge for 3 days.
More Chocolate Cake Recipes
Vegan Chocolate Snickers Cake
For the cake:
- 200 ml soy milk
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 175 g all-purpose flour sifted
- 25 g cocoa powder
- 150 g brown sugar demerara
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 0.5 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 50 ml canola oil rapeseed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Peanut butter frosting:
- 150 g smooth peanut butter
- 50 g vegan butter softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 0.5 teaspoon salt
- 200 g powdered sugar sifted
- 50 ml soy milk
- 25 g chopped salted peanuts
- Extra vegan caramel to taste
Make the caramel:
- You can either make your own vegan dulce de leche caramel or you can buy some pre-made vegan caramel from a store. If you choose the homemade caramel, place it into the fridge once it has cooled down. You'll need it once the cookies have been baked.
Make the cake:
- Preheat your oven to 177 Celsius (350F).
- Grease two 20cm x 10cm loaf cake tins with cold vegan butter. Set aside.
- Now, make the vegan buttermilk by mixing the apple cider vinegar into the soy milk. Set aside for 7-8 minutes so that it can curdle. Measure out your other ingredients while you wait.
- To a mixing bowl, add all the dry ingredients. Mix to combine.
- Next, pour in your curdled soy milk, followed by the oil and vanilla extract. Without mixing the cake batter, fold the ingredients over itself until all the pockets of flour are gone.
- Equally, divide the cake batter between the two greased cake tins and bake in the centre of the oven for 20 minutes. A skewer should come out clean when it’s ready.
- Let the two cake loafs cool in their tins for 15 minutes, then remove the cakes from the tins and transfer them to a cooling rack to cool completely.
Make the frosting:
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together the smooth peanut butter, vegan butter, vanilla and salt until creamy.
- Gradually, add in the powdered sugar and mix again until it's completely incorporated. The texture should be like breadcrumbs.
- Finally, pour in the soy milk. Mix for a further few minutes, until the peanut butter frosting is creamy, and all the lumps have gone.
Layer the cake:
- Place one of the cakes on a flat surface then spread a layer of the chilled caramel on top of it.
- Next, place half of the frosting on top of the caramel layer.
- Add another layer of caramel on top of the frosting, then place the other half of the chocolate cake on top.
- Spread the other half of the frosting on top of the cake. Drizzle any extra caramel on top that you wish to add and sprinkle chopped peanuts to garnish.