A Comforting Sweet Cake
This vegan cherry crumble cake has a crumbly, soft texture and is topped with a toasty almond streusel. The cherries inside are also burst and softened which adds so much flavour to this recipe.
Another cake that you should definitely try is my vegan lemon raspberry cake which is very popular on the blog.
Prefer To Watch Instead?
Ingredients For This Recipe
- All-purpose flour
- Brown sugar
- Vegan butter - I love to use Vitalite spread or vegan Flora for the streusel.
- Flaked almonds - for the cake topping.
- Soy milk
- Apple cider vinegar - to be stirred into the soy milk to make buttermilk.
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- Ground cinnamon
- Ground nutmeg
- Canola oil
- Vanilla extract
- Maple syrup - gives the loaf cakes a little extra sweetness.
- Fresh cherries - avoid using frozen cherries for this recipe.
How To Make A Vegan Cherry Crumble Cake
For the full method and ingredient amounts, please refer to the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
1: Grease two loaf cake tins with vegan butter.
2: Make the vegan buttermilk. Let it curdle.
3: Fold the dry and wet ingredients together to make a smooth cake batter.
4: Next, fold in the fresh cherries.
5: Pour the cake batter into the prepared loaf cake tins.
6: Make the streusel topping.
7: Sprinkle your streusel topping onto the cake batter and bake.
8: Let the cake cool and serve.
Tips For Making Cherry Crumble Cakes
Don't Over-Mix The Cake Batter
Making this mistake will often result in your loaf cakes being dense. We always want our vegan cakes to be light and fluffy so gently fold the cake batter until all of the flour is combined.
Refrigerate The Streusel
Let the topping firm up a little in the fridge before sprinkling it on top of the cake batter.
How To Store This Cherry Crumble Cake
Store this cherry crumble cake at room temperature for up to 3 days inside an airtight container.
More Crumble Cakes
Vegan Apple Walnut Crumble CakePrint
Vegan Cherry Crumble Cake
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 2 Cakes 1x
- Diet: Vegan
This golden & soft vegan cherry crumble cake is topped with an almond streusel. It's toasty, comforting and super easy to make.
For the crumble topping:
- 30g all-purpose flour
- 25g brown sugar (demerara)
- 1.5 Tablespoons vegan butter (softened)
- 1.5 Tablespoons flaked almonds
For the cake batter:
- 200ml soy milk
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 195g all-purpose flour (sifted)
- 150g brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 0.5 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 0.5 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 50ml canola oil (rapeseed)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 100g fresh cherries (stalks removed and pitted)
- Preheat your oven to 177 Celsius (350F).
- Grease two 20cm x 10cm rectangular loaf cake tins with vegan butter then set aside.
Make the almond streusel:
- Add all the streusel ingredients to a small bowl. Use your hands to combine the softened vegan butter with the other ingredients until the mixture becomes crumbly.
- Place the streusel into the fridge so that it can firm up while you make the cake batter.
Make the cake batter:
- Begin by making the vegan buttermilk. Mix the soy milk with the apple cider vinegar. Set aside to curdle for 8 minutes. Measure out the other cake ingredients in the meantime.
- In a mixing bowl, add the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Pour in the vegan buttermilk, canola oil, vanilla extract and maple syrup. Fold the cake batter until almost all the flour has been combined.
- Once most of the flour is folded, add the pitted cherries.
- Fold the cherries into the batter then pour it equally into the two tins. Bake in the centre of the preheated oven for 20 minutes. A skewer will come out of them clean when they’re ready.
- Let the two cakes cool down for 15 minutes, then transfer them over onto a cooling rack.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Bakes
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Cherry Crumble Cake
- Serving Size: 1 Slice
- Calories: 189
- Sugar: 16 g
- Sodium: 277.4 mg
- Fat: 5.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 32.4 g
- Protein: 2.8 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: vegan cherry cake, cherry cake, loaf cake, vegan baking, crumble cake, vegan cakes
i will make this recipe again