The Easiest Brownie Loaf Cake Ever
Brownies or chocolate cake? I know, thats a tough choice. Thats why I decided to make this vegan brownie cake which combines the two! The cake is decorated with a simple vanilla buttercream frosting which is spread between the two loaves of cake as well as on top.
My vegan mug brownie recipe will give you extra chocolate brownie inspiration when you feel in need of it.
Prefer To Watch Instead?
Ingredients For This Recipe
- Soy milk
- Apple cider vinegar - to be mixed into the soy milk to make vegan buttermilk.
- All-purpose flour
- Cocoa powder - use high quality cocoa powder if you can.
- Brown sugar
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- Vegan butter block
- Vegan baking chocolate
- Canola oil - this is the same as rapeseed oil.
- Vanilla extract
- Powdered sugar - for the buttercream frosting.
How To Make A Brownie Loaf Cake
For the full method and ingredient amounts, please refer to the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
1: Make the vegan buttermilk. Set aside.
2: Mix the dry chocolate cake ingredients inside a large bowl.
3: Melt the chocolate with the vegan butter.
4: Add the remaining wet ingredients to the chocolate mixture.
5: Fold the wet into the dry to form a batter.
6: Pour the vegan brownie cake batter into the tins. Bake.
7: Let the two cakes cool.
8: Make the vanilla buttercream frosting inside a stand mixer.
9: Apply the buttercream to the cakes. Create a sandwich and slice.
Expert Tips & Tricks
Avoid Over-Mixing The Batter
When you add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, fold the chocolate cake batter gently and patiently until all of the flour is gone.
By taking this patient approach, you will have a much lighter cake texture.
Use Room Temperature Soy Milk
Make sure that you take the soy milk out from the fridge prior to making this recipe so that it can get to room temperature. It will combine much better with the chocolate and melted butter when it isn't cold.
Why You'll Love This Brownie Cake
- It's fudgy and super chocolatey.
- This chocolate cake is complimented by a vanilla buttercream.
- The recipe is really easy to follow.
- It tastes amazing.
- This cake is both vegan and dairy free.
How To Serve This Cake
- I love to serve this cake with dairy free cream. I also love to add fresh berries and chocolate shavings.
Store this cake inside an airtight container and leave at room temperature for up to 3 days or place in the fridge for 4 days.
Brownie Recipes That You Will Love
Vegan Cookie Dough Brownie BarsPrint
Easy Vegan Brownie Cake with Vanilla Buttercream Frosting
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 12 slices 1x
- Diet: Vegan
This is a vegan brownie cake and it is topped and filled with a smooth vegan vanilla buttercream frosting. I can't wait for you to try it.
For the brownie cake batter:
- 200ml soy milk
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 175g all-purpose flour (sifted)
- 25g cocoa powder
- 175g brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 0.5 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 60g vegan butter (melted)
- 75g vegan baking chocolate (melted)
- 50ml canola oil (rapeseed)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the vanilla buttercream frosting:
- 225g vegan butter block
- 240g powdered sugar
- 0.5 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat your oven to 177 Celsius (350F).
- Grease and line two 20cm x 10cm loaf cake pans with vegan butter and parchment paper then set aside. This brownie batter is sticky, so the non-stick parchment paper is very important.
- Make the vegan ‘buttermilk’ mixture. Stir the soy milk and apple cider vinegar together then set aside for 8 minutes so that it can curdle.
Make the brownie cake batter:
- Inside a large bowl, mix the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Using the double-boiling (bain-marie) method, melt the vegan butter and chocolate together. Stir until smooth and creamy. Pour the vegan ‘buttermilk’ into the chocolate mixture and stir to combine. Remove from the heat.
- Pour the wet mixture, as well as the canola oil and vanilla into the dry ingredients. Fold the cake batter gently, until all the pockets of flour are gone. Don’t over-mix.
Bake the cakes:
- Pour the chocolate cake batter equally into the two tins. Bake in the centre of your oven for 20 minutes. A skewer will come out clean when they’re done.
- Let the chocolate cakes cool inside their tins for 15 minutes then transfer them over to a cooling rack to cool fully.
Make the buttercream:
- Add the vegan block butter to a stand mixer and cream with the whisk attachment on a high speed for 2 minutes. Switch to a medium speed and add half of the powdered sugar. Beat again until combined.
- Pour in the remainder of the powdered sugar and the vanilla and beat one more time to create a thick buttercream.
- Spread half of your vanilla buttercream onto the flat side of one of the cooled chocolate loaf cakes. Place the other cake on top of the filling then spread the rest of the buttercream neatly on top. Slice and serve.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Bakes
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Brownie Cake
- Serving Size: 1 Slice
- Calories: 354
- Sugar: 37.8 g
- Sodium: 450.9 mg
- Fat: 15.9 g
- Carbohydrates: 52.5 g
- Protein: 3.1 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: chocolate brownies, brownie cake, vegan brownies, vegan chocolate cake, vegan baking, brownie lovers
Such a delicious cake