Chocolate-flavoured pancakes are great but have you ever tried chocolate pancakes that are actually FILLED with oozing melted chocolate.
This sweet recipe takes the term 'chocolate pancakes' to a whole new level and they're totally addictive.
I also like to drizzle maple syrup over the top of them for that extra sweetness but I totally understand if this is a step too far for some people!
PREFER TO WATCH INSTEAD?
WHAT YOU NEED TO MAKE THESE MINI CHOCOLATE STUFFED PANCAKES
- All-purpose flour
- Granulated sugar
- Baking powder
- Plant milk
- Vegetable oil
- Vanilla extract
- Vegan chocolate
HOW TO MAKE CHOCOLATE PANCAKES
Below you can take a look at a quick overview of how to make my chocolate-filled pancakes. The full method is down on the recipe card. If you’re looking for detailed steps, be sure to see it!
Combine your dry ingredients in a medium-sized bowl, then add in the wet. Don't over-mix as this will affect the texture of your pancakes.
Once your pan is piping hot, add a tablespoon of pancake mixture to the pan. Place a square of chocolate on top of the mini pancake then add more batter on top. After about 20 seconds flip the pancake and cook for another 20-30 seconds. You can fry multiple pancakes at a time as long as you stay focused.
CHOCOLATE PANCAKE TIPS
- Use a non-stick pan. You don't want your pancakes sticking to the pan. Greasing with vegan butter is also helpful.
- After you have mixed your batter, let it rest for a few minutes. This will activate the baking powder.
- Flip the pancakes when bubbles begin to form on top.
MAKING THE CHOCOLATE FILLING
The great news is that you don't need to. The filling 'makes itself'!
By this, I mean that once you have added your pancake batter to the pan, you can simply place a square of vegan chocolate on top before covering it with more pancake batter.
The heat of the pan, melts the chocolate. So simple!
WHAT TO SERVE WITH CHOCOLATE PANCAKES
I love drizzling maple syrup over my pancakes and I wholeheartedly recommend it. However, you could always drizzle more (yes more) chocolate over them.
I also love powdered sugar sifted over the top of them!
VARIATIONS AND SUBSTITUTIONS
- You're not restricted to having chocolate stuffed pancakes. Instead of placing chocolate onto the pancake, you can add a blob of peanut butter or Biscoff spread! These will also melt nicely.
HOW TO STORE MINI PANCAKES
Place inside an airtight container and store in the fridge for up to 4 days.
HELPFUL EQUIPMENT FOR THIS RECIPE
- Medium bowl
- Medium, non-stick frying pan
Chocolate Pancakes | Vegan, Quick, Easy
- 100 g all-purpose flour
- 20 g granulated sugar
- 0.5 tablespoon baking powder
- 0.5 teaspoon salt
- 65 ml water
- 240 ml plant milk
- 1.5 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 0.5 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 square of chocolate per pancake.
- Maple syrup optional
- Sprinkle of powdered sugar optional
Making the pancake batter:
- Into a large mixing bowl, add the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Pour in the water, plant milk, oil and vanilla. Use a wooden spoon to mix until the batter is just combined. Don’t over-mix your pancake batter. This will make your pancakes dense.
Cooking the pancakes:
- Grease a medium, non-stick frying pan with vegan butter and place the pan over a medium-high heat.
- Let the pan get piping hot then spoon in 1 tablespoon of batter.
- Place a square of chocolate onto the centre of the mini pancake then cover it up with another drop of batter.
- After a few seconds, the uncooked side will begin to bubble. This means that the mini pancake is ready to be flipped.
- Flip and cook the other side until golden brown.
- Repeat these steps until you have used all of the batter. You can cook multiple pancakes at once if you're feeling confident!
- Serve with maple syrup and enjoy!
- Store pancakes in the fridge for up to 4 days inside an airtight container.